This quinoa with roasted vegetables recipe is so versatile, it can be served as a main course or a side dish! Hearty and delicious, this gluten-free, vegetarian meal has superior flavor you don’t want to miss.
Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) cooks relatively fast, so the roasted veggies will be ready at the same time. In fact, there’s a fool-proof method for perfectly roasted veggies—just ensure ingredients are trimmed down to ½-inch cubes—you won’t believe how savory the results will be.
Let the ingredients cool slightly then combine the veggies and quinoa. With a little salt and pepper to taste, and a light sprinkling of Parmesan cheese, dinner is served!
Watch our video on how to make quinoa!
Quinoa with Roasted Vegetables Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 lb Brussels sprouts trimmed and rinsed
- 2 cups butternut squash peeled, seeded and cut into ½" cubes
- 1 turnip peeled and diced into ½" cubes
- 2 medium carrots peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1/2 large red onion coarsely chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 Tbsp Parmesan cheese grated
let's do it
- Place a rack in the center of the oven then preheat to 400 degrees. Cut large-sized Brussels sprouts in half then add them to a large bowl with butternut squash, turnip and carrots. Drizzle with 2 Tbsp olive oil then toss until each veggie is coated. Transfer veggies to a rimmed baking sheet then spread into an even layer. Sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper then bake 25–30 minutes, stirring once, until vegetables reach desired tenderness.
- While the veggies roast, add quinoa, vegetable broth (or water) and salt into a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once liquid begins to boil, cover the pan then reduce heat to low. Simmer quinoa for 18 minutes or until the liquid has mostly absorbed. Remove from heat then set aside.
- Remove vegetables from oven then let cool slightly. Transfer to a large mixing bowl then toss veggies with cooked quinoa and Parmesan cheese.
- Serve while warm and enjoy!