Homemade Orange Julius
Enjoy the classic taste of an Orange Julius smoothie right from your very own kitchen! With the juice and zest of fresh orange—all you have to do is add the ingredients to a blender and purée.
While other recipes call for egg white to achieve a frothy texture, we used powdered sugar instead. This way, you avoid using any uncooked ingredients and enact the same, light texture as the traditional fare.
We enlisted regular milk for this beverage, but you can easily substitute low-fat milk, soy or almond milk for a slightly healthier version. Either way, this smoothie is a delightful refresher—morning, noon and night!
Orange Julius recipe
It’s been a favorite smoothie flavor for decades—which is why it’s so exciting to have an easy Orange Julius recipe you can make at home!
Yield: 2 cups
- 1 orange
- water, if necessary
- 1/4 tsp zest of orange
- 1/3 cup orange juice concentrate
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 cup ice, cubes
- Remove ¼ tsp of zest from a fresh orange with the zesting area of a box grater or fine microplane.
- Squeeze juice from the orange into a measuring cup. You will need ½ cup of juice, but if the orange does not produce much, add enough water to bring liquid to ½ cup total.
- Combine fresh orange juice, orange zest, orange juice concentrate, milk, powdered sugar and ice cubes into a blender and purée until smooth.
- Pour into chilled glasses and enjoy!
Feeling wild? Try adding a splash of vodka!
Calories: 135kcal, Carbohydrates: 27g, Protein: 3g, Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 6mg, Sodium: 30mg, Potassium: 285mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 21g
Tried this recipe?Mention @EverydayDishes or tag #everydaydishes!