This bowling pin turkey is a fun and easy Thanksgiving decoration. A few inexpensive supplies and your trusty glue gun will have this bird table-ready in no time!
Real wood bowling pins can be found in antique stores or flea markets, but plastic-coated pins are just as good and can be found in stores or online. Either type has enough weight so it won’t tip over. It can even be used as a doorstop!
A template provides everything you need to accessorize your turkey. Stiffened felt is perfect for having feathers and a pilgrim hat stand tall. Add googly eyes, a beak and wattle and it’s dressed for the holiday.
If you want to turn this into a kid-friendly craft, simply use that toy set of plastic pins your toddlers have outgrown. It’ll keep the kids busy and look great on a mantle or table.
This post includes links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
- [url href=”https://everydaydishes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/bowling-pin-turkey-cherylstyle-printable.pdf” target=”_blank” title=”Everyday Dishes & DIY Bowling Pin Turkey Printable”]Everyday Dishes & DIY Bowling Pin Turkey Printable[/url]
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005Y2MKE8/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B005Y2MKE8&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20&linkId=76V335FFHGKFGSWA” target=”_blank” title=”bowling pin”]bowling pin[/url]
- beige spray paint (appropriate for plastic)
- pen or pencil
- stiffened felt (brown, black, white, red, orange)
- hot glue gun and glue
- googly eyes
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0056IH3G0/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0056IH3G0&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20&linkId=6UKKZDM2KJVLRWXE” target=”_blank” title=”Mini Chalkboard”]mini chalkboard[/url]
- First, paint the bowling pin with beige spray paint in a well-ventilated area. Set aside to dry.
- Download the [url href=”https://everydaydishes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/bowling-pin-turkey-cherylstyle-printable.pdf” target=”_blank” title=”Everyday Dishes & DIY Bowling Pin Turkey Printable”]Everyday Dishes & DIY Bowling Pin Turkey Printable[/url] and open in [url href=”http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/” target=”_blank” title=”Adobe Reader”]Adobe Reader[/url].
- Print and cut out turkey template. Trace onto corresponding colored stiffened felt and cut out.
- Next, glue feather cutouts onto the back of the bowling pin using hot glue. Also glue on eyes, beak and a wattle—the piece of red ‘skin’ that hangs from the turkey’s neck.
- Write a short message with chalk onto the mini chalkboard then hang it around the neck of the bowling pin.
- To top it off, assemble the pilgrim hat as indicated then glue it onto the turkey’s head.