Looking for a Halloween costume that’s really different? Try this DIY umbrella spider Halloween costume!
Search your sock drawer to find four pairs of black opaque trouser socks; make sure they have no pattern to them. If you don’t have any, use pantyhose or knee-highs.
If you want to make this a super easy project, substitute super colossal chenille pipe cleaners. They’re a great alternative and eliminate the need for stuffing altogether.
If using socks or hose, completely stuff each one with Poly-Fil, toilet paper, cotton balls, tissue paper, or whatever else you can find. Fold each leg in half, using embroidery floss to whipstitch it. Each leg will look as if it is slightly bent.
Open the umbrella and attach the open ends of each leg to the underside of the umbrella with whipstitches. The wire “spokes” of the umbrella can provide additional support, if necessary. Just remember to put four legs on each side.
Attach felt eyes and fangs using a glue gun, and then dress your trick-or-treater in black clothing. He’s sure to be noticed wherever he goes.
- black umbrella
- 4 pairs black opaque trouser socks (no print)
- 12 oz Poly-Fil
- tapestry needle
- black embroidery floss
- black felt
- white felt
- glue gun and glue sticks
- Grab a handful of Poly-Fil. Massage and separate the fiber with your fingers.
- Push the fiber into toe of sock. Continue until sock is completely filled
- Fold leg in half and sew using a [url href=”http://www.bhg.com/crafts/embroidery/basics/whipstitch/” target=”_blank” title=”Whipstitch How-To”]whipstitch[/url] to create bend in leg.
- Open umbrella and fold over open end of leg to close.
- Attach leg to underside of umbrella using whipstitch (use wire arms of umbrella to lend extra support if needed). Repeat for all 8 socks.
- Cut two 3 ½” white circles, two 2 ½” white circles, two 2 ½” black circles, two 1 ½” black circles, two small white crescent shapes as highlights, and two black fangs 4” long and 2” wide at the widest point.
- Layer black circles on white circles to create eyes, glue to secure.
- Glue white crescents on black of eye for highlight.
- Glue fangs on underneath side of umbrella just below large eyes.