Halloween DIY vampire lantern
Create a welcoming atmosphere for your neighborhood trick-or-treaters! Our DIY vampire lantern is super quick, easy to make and uses a battery-operated candle to safely light your entryway.
If you have kids or are a crafter, you probably already have everything necessary to make our monster lantern. Felt, a sheet of tissue paper and adhesive dots are pretty much staples when it comes to projects!
You will need to check out your supply of vases. A clear glass cylinder vase is perfect—a tall one works especially well. If you don’t have one on hand, you can easily purchase one at your local craft or discount store.
Our instructions can be easily adapted for whatever height vase you choose. Begin by cutting tissue paper large enough to wrap around the interior of the vase. Adhesive dots are great for keeping it in place.
Just be sure to use a battery-operated candle because you will be lining the inside of the vase with tissue paper. Otherwise, you could be calling the fire department.
Use our sketch as a guideline to make the collar. Stiffened felt works best, but construction or scrapbook paper will also work.
You don’t have to be an artist to make the facial features of our vampire! It’s simple to cut them out of felt scraps and adhere them to the vase. Be creative and have fun!
Place the vase inside the collar; add a battery-operated candle and your lantern is complete. It’s inexpensive to make, so why not make a few more? Group them together for a centerpiece, or set them on a table with Halloween treats.
The nice thing about this project is that storage won’t be an issue. Just disassemble it and then reuse the vase! It doesn’t get any better than that!
This post includes links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
- glass cylinder vase
- sheet tissue paper
- adhesive dots
- sheet 12″ x 18″ black stiffened felt
- sheet 8 ½” x 11″ square white felt
- battery operated candle
- Cut tissue paper large enough to wrap around interior glass cylinder vase, using adhesive dots to hold paper in place.
- Cut collar out of black stiffened felt.
- Fold felt and staple to hold shape.
- Cut out eyes and teeth from white felt.
- Cut out widow’s peak, eyebrows, nose, mouth and pupils from black felt scraps.
- Use adhesive dots to assemble pieces on vase.
- Set vase in collar and insert candle.