Hammered metal ornaments
Hammered metal ornaments add a homemade touch to Christmas. Use them to decorate your tree, gifts or even add to a gifted bottle of wine!
Our template has a modern take on the usual tree, ball or star ornament—lots of loops and curves. Jewelry pliers make it very easy to bend silver plated wire into the desired shapes.
Tapping a hammer lightly on the metal gives it that textured, rustic look. Just remember that it’s best to use a concrete surface such as a garage floor or sidewalk when swinging your hammer.
This post includes links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
Hammered metal ornaments instructions
- hammered metal ornaments template
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002OCRE74/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B002OCRE74&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20″ target=”_blank” title=”16 Gauge Silver Plated Flatwire”]16 gauge silver plated flat wire[/url], 12″ long
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00177X9OO/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00177X9OO&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20&linkId=GZ2AABPH6KG56OW4″ target=”_blank” title=”Jewelry Pliers”]jewelry pliers[/url]
- ornament hooks
- Download the [url href=”https://everydaydishes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/hammered-metal-ornaments-cherylstyle-printable.pdf” target=”_blank” title=”Everyday Dishes & DIY Hammered Metal Ornaments”]hammered metal ornaments template[/url] and open in [url href=”http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/” target=”_blank” title=”Adobe Reader”]Adobe Reader[/url].
- Print out the template and choose which ornament you’d like to make.
- Cut a 12″ strip of wire, using scissors. Place one end of the wire on the template where it says ‘start.’ Follow the template as a guide to bend the wire. Use jewelry pliers to help make curves and loops—just a small slight bend will work. Once the ornament has been completed, snip off any excess wire.
- Place the finished ornament on a hard surface (one that can take a bit of a beating) and lightly tap over the top. Don’t flatten it too much or it could become fragile and break!
- Once flattened, attach an ornament hook and you’re done!