Halloween Jack-o-Lantern Cookies
Whether you make these cookies round or square, this jack-o-lantern Halloween cookies recipe is festive and fun! These little guys will take on a personality all their own depending on shape and the placement of each cookie’s features.
The process is one of assembly rather than an actual recipe. Simply prepare your workstation so it’s easy to dip then decorate! The components are easy to find at the local supermarket, and inexpensive to boot!
The kids will love helping you dip and decorate each pumpkin cookie—even more than carving out a real jack-o-lantern! You and the family can make all kinds of faces for the pumpkins—spooky, happy and cute—just get creative with it!
jack-o-lantern Halloween cookies recipe
- Melt candy in a microwave-safe bowl according to package instructions. Stir candy melts to ensure they’re completely melted then lay a sheet of parchment or wax paper on a flat surface to set cookies on after they’re dipped.
- Dip cookies in melted candy then coat completely. Using a fork, cover cookie in melted candy then lift the cookie out of the bowl. Tap fork gently on the side of the bowl several times to remove excess candy then smooth out the surface. Transfer cookie to parchment paper then allow candy to set. Repeat with remaining cookies. Reserve remaining candy melt to use as glue.
- Once the candy is set, re-heat the remaining orange candy to use as glue. Use a toothpick to dab a bit of the candy on the backside of the eyes then place them in any position you like. Dab a small amount on the bottom of a chocolate chip then place it on the top of the cookie to resemble a stem.
- Scoop up a large amount of orange candy onto the toothpick then dab it on the cookie to make a nose. Using black gel icing, pipe on eyebrows and a mouth then use green icing to make leaves near the stem of the pumpkin. Allow icing and candy to set and enjoy!
- To create a pumpkin patch, use a food processor or rolling pin to crush the chocolate cookies into crumbs and nestle your jack-o-lanterns in them!