If you need a fun activity to keep the kids busy on a snow day, or simply want to surprise your loves with a fun after-school snack you’ll love our pretzel rod snowmen. They are the perfect winter fun food—easy, super cute and the perfect balance of salty and sweet!
We used Airheads to make the snowman scarves because they’re the right shape and size, and also come in a variety of colors and tasty flavors. Fruit roll-ups are a fab alternative if you can’t find Airheads at the supermarket.
All you have to do is dip and decorate—they come together that quick! We can’t wait to create these for a bake sale, winter theme party or just because they’re a blast to make. It doesn’t hurt that we love the flavor combinations too!
pretzel rod snowmen recipe
what you'll need
- 10 large pretzel rods
- 12 oz package white chocolate melts
- 40 candy-coated chocolate candies
- 5 small fruit-flavored taffy bars
- 1 tube black gel icing
- 1 tube orange gel icing
let's do it
- Cut pretzel rods in half and place onto a sheet of parchment or wax paper that will be used after they are dipped.
- Melt white chocolate candies according to package directions in a 1-cup liquid measuring cup—the handle and the spout make the dipping process easier, and the spout is just the right shape to scrape off excess chocolate from ‘snowmen.’
- Tip your measuring cup so the chocolate pools along the side and lets you coat further down the pretzel. Dip cut side of the pretzel into chocolate, covering as much of the pretzel as possible. Tap to smooth chocolate coating then remove excess along the bottom by dragging the pretzel across the measuring cup spout. Place pretzel on parchment paper then repeat process with remaining rods.
- While the chocolate coating is still slightly tacky, position 2 matching-colored candies on each side of the pretzel near the top to form earmuffs. Allow melting chocolate to completely harden before moving on to the next step.
- Cut each of the taffy bars lengthwise into four ¼"-wide strips for the scarves. If you’re using something like a fruit roll-up, cut it into 20 pieces that are about ¼" wide by about 4"–5" long. Wrap taffy around the pretzel just below the earmuffs then bend or position candy to resemble a scarf.
- Use black decorating gel to make coal eyes, mouth and buttons. Pipe orange decorating gel on the face in the shape of a carrot nose. Set snowmen aside until coatings are fully set then enjoy!