It’s always exciting to find a delicious new way to prepare veggies, but it’s even better when it’s a recipe that the kids will scarf down without protest. That’s why we used our favorite buttery crackers to coat our baked asparagus fries!
For the best results, select asparagus spears that are on the thicker side—say, the size of your pinkie finger. If they’re too thin, they’ll be difficult to bread and are not likely to stand the weight of the breading. These asparagus fries turned out tastier and crispier than we could have dreamed possible—SCORE!
Baked Asparagus Fries Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 medium bunch asparagus 16–18 spears
- 1 egg well beaten
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 25 butter crackers crushed
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese finely grated
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
let's do it
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place a rack inside of a baking sheet. If you don’t have a rack, just line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray lightly with cooking spray. Trim the tough end off of each asparagus spear, rinse under cool water and set aside.
- Using 3 separate plates, add the flour to one plate, the beaten egg to one plate and add the crushed crackers, Parmesan cheese and all spices including salt and pepper to the third plate. Toss the cracker crumb mixture until all ingredients are evenly combined.
- Blot the asparagus lightly to remove excess water, but leave them slightly damp. Dredge the asparagus in the flour, tapping to remove excess. (Being slightly damp will help the flour to adhere.) Dip the lightly floured asparagus into the egg, then finally into the cracker crumb mixture to coat completely. (You can coat the entire spear or leave the tips uncoated as we did.)
- Place the breaded asparagus onto the prepared baking sheet spaced at least 1" apart. Spritz each one lightly with cooking spray to help them crisp in the oven. Bake for 12–15 minutes or until they are golden brown and reach desired doneness. This will depend on the thickness of the asparagus. Enjoy!
One Last Thing