Reindeer sugar cookies
Grab the kids to help make these adorable reindeer sugar cookies that are easy to make and decorate! They can easily roll the dough and cut out the circles.
Because there’s very little icing with this cookie, there’s less cleanup for you! We added salted pretzels for antlers, which are a delicious complement to the sweetness of the dough.
Before you’re ready to roll, be sure to chill the dough in the refrigerator before you cut it out.
If you can’t find round cookie cutters, you can always use biscuit rings or even the top of a glass to make the perfect sized circles. Place your pretzel antlers on the dough and bake and cool. Use brown royal icing to pipe reindeer eyes and put a red-hot candy in place for the nose.
You’ll have enough reindeer to guide Santa’s sleigh—if the kids don’t eat them all first!
reindeer sugar cookies recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 2/3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pretzel twists
- small cinnamon candies
- brown royal icing
- 1 3 in cookie cutter, round
- Mix butter, sugar, vanilla and egg in mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Stir in remaining ingredients until combined.
- Flatten dough on parchment lined cookie sheet, cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- Roll dough on lightly floured surface to ¼" thickness then cut out dough using 3" round circle cookie cutter.
- Break pretzel twists to use for antlers then press pretzel antlers into dough.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes and let cookies cool completely.
- Pipe on reindeer eyes using royal icing. Then pipe small amount of royal icing on back of Red Hots and place on cookie for nose.