Before we get to the bottom of how to make an acai breakfast bowl, we’ll tell you how to pronounce it. We pronounced it at least five different ways in the office, so we asked our trusted friend Google how to say ‘acai’! The verdict was ‘ahh-sigh-eee.’
We’ve also never actually seen acai available fresh at the grocery store, which probably has something to do with the fact that they grow on exotic trees in Central and South America. Not to worry—we got ours in the ‘smoothie packs’ in the frozen food section.
It only takes a few minutes to make the acai berry purée in a blender then add your favorite granola, fresh fruits, nuts and shaved coconut! Enjoy!
Acai Breakfast Bowl Recipe
- acai purée
- 2 - 3 1/2 oz packets acai, frozen
- 1 banana, ripe, peeled and sliced
- 10 strawberries, hulled
- 1/2 cup milk, (soy, almond, coconut, etc.)
- granola, or whole grain cereal
- fruit, fresh or dried
- shaved coconut
- Run acai packets under cool water for a few seconds to soften and break up. Then pour contents into blender.
- Add sliced banana, strawberries and milk. Puree until completely smooth.
- Pour about 1 cup of acai puree into a bowl and top with accompaniments. We used ½ cup granola, 1 kiwi and a few fresh berries. Enjoy!
You can omit the strawberries in your purée—it will taste just as delicious, but will be brown in color.