Baked Macaroni and Cheese
Traditional mac ‘n’ cheese just got cheesier! Our baked macaroni and cheese recipe is made with homemade breadcrumbs sprinkled on top—making this recipe extra delicious! You’d better put your name on the dish for the potluck, because people are going to want to know who made it!
This homemade casserole is easily prepared in just under an hour, and the recipe yields enough to feed the masses. Served as a side dish or as a main course, it’s perfectly appropriate for holidays, potlucks, game day and beyond. This recipe will not disappoint.
If you actually have leftovers, it tastes even better on day two! Just nuke it in the microwave for a minute or two then grab a fork and chow down.
Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Any mac ‘n’ cheese connoisseur will love this quick and easy baked macaroni and cheese recipe with crushed, cheesy crackers sprinkled on top—yum!
Yield: 12 servings
- 1 lb large elbow macaroni
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, 1 stick
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 16 oz medium cheddar cheese, or sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 oz Monterey Jack cheese, or mozzarella cheese, shredded, 2 cups
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- Place rack in center of oven then preheat to 375 degrees. Coat a 9" x 13" casserole dish with cooking spray then set aside. Bring large pot of water to a full rolling boil over high heat then stir in macaroni and salt. Bring the water back to a boil then reduce heat and cook until the pasta is just beginning to become tender, but still very firm—about 6 minutes. Drain pasta, place it in a large bowl then set aside.
- While water is boiling and pasta is cooking, place a large saucepan over medium heat and melt the butter.
- Next, add flour then whisk to combine. Reduce heat to low then allow flour and butter to cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the flour and butter cook, heat milk in microwave until warm, but not boiling. Whisk warm milk into the flour mixture until completely dissolved. Add salt, garlic powder, dry mustard, paprika and pepper then whisk to combine. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and let simmer for 2 additional minutes.
- Stir cheese into the sauce 1 cup at a time, allowing each addition of cheese to melt before adding the next.
- Once all of the cheese is incorporated and melted, remove sauce from heat then pour it over the macaroni. Stir to combine then transfer the mixture to the prepared casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the top with breadcrumbs then bake 30–35 minutes until sauce is bubbly and slightly brown around the edges. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Jazz up this recipe by adding green chiles, bacon crumbles, fresh sliced tomatoes or anything else you dream up!
Calories: 542kcal, Carbohydrates: 46g, Protein: 24g, Fat: 29g, Saturated Fat: 18g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 82mg, Sodium: 1243mg, Potassium: 225mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 6g
Tried this recipe?Mention @EverydayDishes or tag #everydaydishes!