One of the best things about summer is the abundance of fresh fruits and veggies! Our baked zucchini cakes are a seasonal favorite.
To get the best results, you’ll want to wring out as much of the excess water from the zucchinis as possible. We find that smaller and thinner zucchini have more flavor and better texture because they’re not quite as watery.
Or, you can sprinkle the zucchini with salt once it’s grated and before you strain it. That helps draw out moisture, too.
Baking the zucchini cakes is the healthier route but you can definitely fry them, too! If you decide to fry, go all out and use real butter.
Baked Zucchini Cakes Recipe
- 1 lb zucchini, about 2 medium zucchini
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 medium yellow onion, grated
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs, plain or seasoned
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside. Trim ends off zucchini and grate into a large mixing bowl using the largest holes of a cheese grater. When you’ve finished grating the zucchini, grate the onion into the same bowl. Toss the grated zucchini and onion with ½ tsp salt and set aside for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer zucchini and onion mixture to a strainer and press it firmly against the sides of the strainer to extract as much liquid as possible from the zucchini. You could also wrap the zucchini up in a clean dishtowel and wring out the water. (Either way, you should try to remove as much liquid as possible to avoid soggy patties.)
- Move the zucchini back to the mixing bowl. (You should only be left with about 2 cups of zucchini at this point.) Stir in all remaining ingredients until completely combined.
- Scoop out about ¼ cup of the batter and drop onto prepared baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Turn the patties and bake for an additional 10–15 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Remove from oven and sprinkle with a little additional salt if necessary and serve immediately so they stay nice and crispy. Enjoy!
Be sure to use the large holes on your grater. Finely grated zucchini makes for mushy zucchini cakes!