Bacon Breakfast Cupcakes
If you’re too busy getting everyone out the door in the morning to sit down and eat breakfast at the table, you have to try this recipe for homemade bacon breakfast cupcakes! They are amazingly moist and delicious with maple syrup and thick cut cubes of bacon.
It’s all of your favorite breakfast flavors combined into a single, tasty, take-it-to-go cupcake wrapper! If you’re a fan of salty and sweet, you’ll get everything your taste buds desire with every bite.
It’s easy to make this recipe—simply whip up your batter the night before and bake. Allow them to sit overnight so they’re ready to eat the next day. They are best served warm, so nuke them in the microwave for a few seconds before serving and enjoy!
Bacon Breakfast Cupcakes Recipe
- 1/2 lb thick-cut bacon, cubed
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, cold, cut into ½" cubes
- 1/4 cup green onions, finely sliced
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup, for brushing tops
- coarse sea salt, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees then line a muffin tin with 8 cupcake liners.
- Place the bacon in a skillet over medium heat. Cook bacon, stirring often, until each piece is crispy. Transfer the bacon bits to a paper towel lined plate and set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and kosher salt and stir to combine.
- Cut butter into the flour mixture until the butter is roughly the size of peas. You can use a food processor, pastry blender or simply mash the chunks with a fork.
- Once the butter has been incorporated into the flour, add the cooled bacon and green onion and stir to combine.
- Pour in buttermilk and ½ cup of the maple syrup and stir just until a thick batter forms.
- Scoop enough batter to fill the muffin cups ¾ full and brush the top of batter with a bit of heavy cream.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes until moist crumbs cling to a toothpick stuck into the center. Remove cupcakes from oven and generously brush the tops with additional ¼ cup maple syrup. Sprinkle a little coarse sea salt on top and return to oven for 3 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!