We barely have time on weeknights to make dinner, much less ensure that the kids (and adults) eat their vegetables. So, we made a quick and easy steamed broccoli with cheese sauce recipe that makes everyone happy.
This recipe cooks to perfection in just minutes, making your dinner preparation a breeze. Trust us, this is one side dish where your entire family will be asking for seconds. In fact, the cheese sauce is so versatile, you can even pour it over pasta, potatoes, asparagus…you get the idea!
One crucial trick to remember when making this dish is to avoid scalding the cheese sauce. Super-hot temperatures will scorch your sauce, making it inedible. Cooking the sauce over low heat will ensure a thumbs up from everyone at the table.
Wanna take a walk on the wild side? Add green chilies or diced jalapenos to your cheese sauce for a spicy kick. You can even substitute the sharp cheddar cheese for any one of your favorite cheeses like Gruyere, Monterey Jack or Parmesan.
We love incorporating a comfort food vibe with our favorite veggies. Because this recipe yields great tasting broccoli with plenty of creamy, delicious sauce, we’d even love to eat this as a main dish on nights when we’re home by ourselves. Yum!
steamed broccoli with cheese sauce recipe
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard powder
- salt, to taste
- Steam broccoli until crisp-tender, about 4–5 minutes.
- While the broccoli is steaming, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in flour and mustard powder and cook for about 1 minute. Pour in the milk, and whisk constantly until the sauce comes to a bubble and has thickened substantially.
- Add cheese in 3 increments, stirring until each addition is completely melted before adding the next.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Pour this wonderful sauce over the freshly steamed broccoli.
- Serve and enjoy!
Whether you make this recipe with fresh broccoli or frozen, it’s a home run for the entire family!