Chocolate Hazelnut-Filled Oatmeal Cookies
We all know oatmeal cookies taste great with raisins or chocolate chips but it can’t compare with the delectable filling of chocolate and hazelnuts. Your taste buds are sure to go into overdrive!
It does take a bit more time than usual to get these cookies oven-ready. You’ll need to use a blender or food processor to grind the oats into a fine consistency.
Set aside time to chill the dough, too, so it won’t be as sticky when molding into balls. You could always make a batch, chill it overnight then mold and pop into the oven the next day.
Chocolate Hazelnut-Filled Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats, divided
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars until light and fluffy then beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Add ¾ cup of oats into a food processor or blender and grind into fine flour. Add the oat flour, all-purpose flour, baking soda, and salt to the butter mixture then stir until combined. Add remaining oats and mix until evenly incorporated. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Form dough into 1½" balls then flatten dough in your palm until it’s approximately ¼" thick. Spoon 1 tsp of chocolate hazelnut spread into center of dough.
- Form cookie dough up around the filling to form back into a ball. If necessary, patch any openings with a bit of extra dough. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place the dough balls onto the cookie sheet at least 3" apart. Bake 15–17 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges and set in the middle. Remove from pan and allow cookies to cool on a rack.