Easy grilled artichokes
Grilling artichokes gives them a wonderful and subtle smoky flavor! And who doesn’t love a good dip on the side? Mayo, melted butter and ranch dressing tend to be the norm but you can pick any recipe that speaks to your taste buds. They’re even a tasty treat when they’re served on their own.
A great side dish or appetizer for entertaining outdoors, grilled artichokes don’t just taste good—they also look good. We love this rustic veggie because it fancies up any table. Seriously, is there anything more beautiful than a touch of natural green? You can serve grilled artichokes hot, warm or chilled. Every which way is delicious!
easy grilled artichokes recipe
- 2 lemons
- 3 artichokes
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the grill to medium while you prepare the artichokes.
- Fill a large pot with about 1 gallon of water and squeeze the juice of 1 lemon into the water. Reserve the remaining lemon to grill with the artichokes. Drop the lemon halves into the water and set aside. Trim artichokes by cutting off the top 2". Remove the large outer leaves from the stem end and use a pair of scissors or kitchen shears to snip the tips from the remaining leaves. (This will remove those little spikes on the end of the leaves.)
- Cut the artichoke in half and then cut it again into quarters. Use a spoon to scoop out the fibrous center chokes then submerge it into the lemon water to prevent it from turning brown. Repeat with all remaining artichokes.
- When all the artichokes are trimmed and submerged in the lemon water, cover the pot and bring the water to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer 15–20 minutes or until the stems of the artichokes can be pierced easily by a fork. Remove the artichokes from the water and drain completely.
- Brush each artichoke with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cut the remaining lemon in half and brush the cut side with olive oil as well. Place the artichokes and lemons face down on the preheated grill. Grill the artichokes just until they are nicely browned and have those wonderful grill marks on all 3 sides. Grill the lemon just until nicely browned on the cut side.
- Remove artichokes and lemons from the grill and transfer to a serving platter. Just before serving, squeeze the grilled lemon over the artichokes. Serve immediately and enjoy!