Prepare this outstanding fluffy boiled icing recipe to create the most visually appealing, whimsical cakes and cupcakes. Time and attention are involved; however, the results are totally worth it!
The sugar is boiled so it can cook the egg whites, bringing it up to temperature so the icing is safe to eat. When you finish whisking—notice how the icing gets shinier and denser the longer you whip it—set the goods aside until your icing achieves room temperature. Then, it’s party time!
You want to work with the icing straight away or it will get sticky on you. After you’ve frosted your cake, store it in the fridge covered to keep the icing nice and soft.
Fluffy boiled icing recipe
what you'll need
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp water
- 6 large egg whites room temperature
- 3/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp salt
let's do it
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring sugar and water to a boil, stirring frequently. Decrease heat to low and simmer for an additional 5–7 minutes. Dip a pastry brush in water and run along the sides of the pan to dissolve any crystals forming along the sides.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar and salt until stiff peaks form.
- While on medium-low speed, carefully drizzle the hot syrup into the egg whites. Then whisk continuously about 5 minutes on high until blended.