This summertime green bean salad is a delightful vegetarian dish! Crispy sweet green beans pair perfectly with the light vinaigrette, juicy tomatoes and salty feta. You can cook the green beans as tender or crisp as you like them. Just take a test bite while they’re boiling to figure out the perfect time to drain.
Boiling the beans and then immersing them in ice water is a process called ‘blanching and shocking,’ which tenderizes vegetables and immediately stops the cooking. This is what gives the beans their bright green hue. Check out our how-to video on blanching veggies for more step-by-step instructions.
Not only does this salad make for a beautiful and bright presentation, but it’s also good for you, too. Green beans are rich in fiber and Vitamin A while tomatoes provide a healthy dose of antioxidants. If that’s not an excuse to dig in, we don’t know what is!
Vegetarian Green Bean Salad Recipe
- 4 1/2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 4 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp red onion
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 lb French green beans
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup feta cheese crumbles
- In a small bowl, whisk together the red wine vinegar, olive oil, red onion, salt, sugar and pepper until combined. Allow the mixture to sit at room temperature while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. This will allow the vinegar to soften the harsh flavors of the red onion.
- Fill a large pot halfway with water and place over high heat. While you are waiting for the water to boil, fill a large bowl half full of ice water and set aside. When the water boils, add the green beans. Allow the green beans to cook until they are crisp-tender (or however you like them best), about 1–2 minutes. Drain the green beans and immediately submerge them in the ice water to stop the cooking. Once the beans are cold, drain them again and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place the green beans, grape tomatoes and red wine vinaigrette into a large mixing bowl and toss gently to coat the vegetables in the dressing. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Remove from the refrigerator and toss once again to coat the vegetables in the dressing. Sprinkle feta cheese crumbles over the top of the salad and serve nice and cold. Enjoy!
Add a little crunch to this salad with toasted almonds or sesame seeds!