If you’re an ardent baker—or know someone who is—our homemade orange extract recipe is right up your alley! It’s easy to make and inexpensive too. It’s a win-win situation since store-bought extracts are so pricey. Check out our awesome recipes for mint and vanilla extract.
All you need is a good-quality vodka (we won’t judge if you take a swig or two), and orange zest. Combine the ingredients in a pretty bottle then let it set for 8–12 weeks. Give the bottle a swirl every so often then when you’re ready to package the extract for use, simply strain the liquid away from the zest then seal the extract in an airtight container.
This post includes links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
homemade orange extract recipe
what you'll need
- 1 cup vodka good-quality
- 5 oranges zest of oranges no pith
let's do it
- Remove zest from each orange using a microplane. If you don’t have a microplane, use a vegetable peeler to remove the zest. If necessary, use a sharp knife to remove any white pith from the back of the zest before extracting. The pith will result in unwanted bitterness to the final product.
- Place fruit peels and vodka in a clean glass jar or bottle. Make sure zest is completely submerged in the vodka.
- Seal tightly then store in a cool dark place for 8–10 weeks, shaking the bottle occasionally to fully extract the orange essence.
- After extracting, remove zest and store the extract in an airtight container indefinitely.