Everybody loves chicken—yet coming up with fresh and easy ways to cook your favorite fowl can be a challenge. When it’s time for something new, try this easy recipe for lemon chicken!
This is a simple dish that’s sure to add some zing to your weeknight dinner routine—and better yet, it’s classic enough to serve company!
All you need is one lemon to flavor this recipe. With a little zest, lemon slices and some of the fresh squeezed lemon juice, you’ll have enough to flavor your chicken without making it too sour.
If you want a creamier texture, simply add a little butter off the heat during the last few minutes of the cooking process. See—we told you it was easy!
Savory Lemon Chicken Recipe
what you'll need
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 4 slices lemon
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
let's do it
- Rinse and pat the chicken breasts dry then season lightly with salt and pepper. Dust the chicken breasts with flour, removing any excess, then set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, carefully add the chicken breasts and cook until golden brown on each side—approximately 4 minutes per side. Transfer the chicken to a plate then cover loosely with foil.
- Reduce the heat to low then add the chicken broth, lemon juice, lemon zest, lemon slices, oregano and basil to the skillet. Allow the liquid to come to a boil, stirring constantly to remove anything sticking to the bottom of the skillet.
- When the liquid has reduced by half, return the chicken to the skillet then cook until the chicken reheats and is cooked all the way through.
- When the chicken is cooked through, remove the breasts to a serving platter then top each breast with a slice of lemon. Remove the skillet from the heat and add the unsalted butter. Stir constantly to incorporate the butter into the sauce. Stir in the fresh parsley and taste the sauce for seasoning. Season with salt and pepper if desired then spoon the sauce over the chicken.
- Serve while nice and hot and enjoy!
One Last Thing