Lemon Cucumber Orzo Salad Video
Fresh dill, tangy lemon juice, crisp English cucumber, sweet cherry tomatoes and nutty orzo complete this refreshing and zesty lemon cucumber orzo salad.
Make this salad a complete meal by adding grilled chicken slices and you’ve got yourself a mouth-watering main course! There is no mayo to spoil so it’s perfect on its own or when served as a side dish at a barbecue!
If you’ve never had orzo before then you’ve got to try this recipe. Orzo looks like rice but is actually a form of pasta, perfect for casseroles and to serve on the side of your favorite poultry, meat or fish. Yum!
lemon orzo salad recipe
- 16 oz box orzo pasta
- 1 cup peas, frozen
- 1/2 zest of lemon
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice, fresh squeezed, about 1 medium lemon
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp dill, chopped
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 English cucumber, chopped
- 6 oz Greek feta cheese, crumbled
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Fill a 4-qt saucepan with water and add a large pinch of salt. Bring to a boil over high heat, then add the orzo and return to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer the pasta for about 2 minutes less than the box indicates. You want the orzo to be just cooked, but still firm.
- While the orzo is cooking, add the frozen peas to the bottom of the colander that you will be using to drain the orzo.
- When the pasta is cooked properly, drain it over the frozen peas. This will defrost and cook the peas just slightly. Rinse the pasta and peas under cold water to stop the cooking process then add to a large mixing bowl.
- In a large bowl add the lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, chopped dill and salt. When the previous ingredients are completely combined, add the tomatoes and cucumber thoroughly combine. Then add the pasta and peas and fold until completely combined. Stir in crumbled feta.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour. Before serving, give the salad one last stir to redistribute the dressing and break up any pasta that stuck together. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper if needed. Serve this salad cold or at room temperature. Enjoy!