Our loaded baked potato salad reinforces why we’ll never give up carbs—it’s the perfect marriage of loaded baked potatoes and potato salad. This recipe is great for a backyard barbecue side dish or potluck contribution. Just watch how quickly it gets devoured!
Because this dish is made with sour cream and milk, it’s important to keep it cool once made. As we noted earlier, however, our potato salad is guaranteed to get gobbled up quickly, so we don’t imagine you’ll have to worry all that much about the ingredients getting warm.
If you have leftover baked potatoes from the night before, it’s an excellent way to repurpose the goods. Leave the skins on or remove them—it’s your preference. Then top our loaded baked potato salad with your favorite fixins’!
Loaded Baked Potato Salad Recipe
what you'll need
- 4 - 4 1/2 lbs Russet potatoes about 5–6 medium
- 1/2 lb bacon
- 4 green onions sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup milk plus more if necessary
- 1 tsp salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese shredded
let's do it
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees then coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Scrub each potato completely clean, rinse and pat dry. Pierce each potato several times with the tip of a knife or a fork and place on prepared baking dish. Bake 1 hour or until potatoes are cooked through. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- While the potatoes cool, place a skillet over medium-low heat then fry bacon for about 10–15 until crisp but not dry. Transfer from skillet to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and cool. When bacon is cool, chop into small bits then set aside.
- Once potatoes have cooled to room temperature or are slightly warm, the skins should be very easy to remove. If your family likes the skins, you can leave them on.
- Cut potatoes into ½" pieces and place in a large bowl along with about half of the green onions.
- In a separate small bowl, stir together the sour cream, mayo, milk, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Pour dressing over potatoes and stir gently to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer into a 9" x 13" casserole dish. Spread into an even layer and sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled bacon and remainder of the green onion. Serve lightly chilled, room temperature or slightly warm.