Sautéed green beans
Are you ready to debunk a few myths about green beans? They don’t have to be mushy and they definitely don’t have to cook for hours on end! We’re proving this theory with our quick sautéed green beans recipe.
Boiling the beans and then immediately ‘shocking’ them by putting them in an ice bath prevents the beans from overcooking and preserves their bright green hue. All you need is 10 minutes to prep and 10−12 minutes to cook them. Are you ready?
Start by boiling 6 cups of water in a medium-sized saucepan. Meanwhile, fill a large mixing bowl half-full of ice water then set aside.
Place the trimmed green beans into the boiling water, then let simmer for 5 minutes. Drain the beans and then transfer immediately into the bowl of ice water. Let the beans cook completely, remove them from the ice water, then drain and set aside.
Next, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and cook for about 2 minutes or until soft.
Immediately add green beans then toss to evenly coat. Cook only until the beans are heated through—about 2 minutes.
Transfer beans from the skillet to a serving platter then sprinkle with salt and fresh black pepper. Bon appétit!
sautéed green beans with shallots recipe
- 1 lb green beans, rinsed and trimmed
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 small shallot, finely diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper
- Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. While the water is coming to a boil, fill a large mixing bowl half-full of ice water and set it aside.
- Add the trimmed green beans into the boiling water and reduce the heat to low. Simmer the beans for about 5 minutes or until they reach the desired degree of tenderness.
- Drain the beans and immediately submerge them in the bowl of ice water until they have cooled completely. Remove the ice, drain the beans once again and set them aside.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the diced shallots and cook until they have softened and become translucent (about 2 minutes).
- Once the shallots are soft, immediately add the green beans. Toss the beans in the butter mixture to coat completely. Cook only long enough to heat the beans through (about 2 minutes).
- Transfer to a serving platter and sprinkle with salt and fresh black pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!