The Twinkie crisis may be over, but that doesn’t have to stop you from making this homemade version of the snack, complete with whipped topping frosting as a filling. The best part is that our homemade Twinkies are super easy to make!
This light and fluffy sweet treat makes a great birthday dessert or it can be served after a sit-down dinner with fresh brewed coffee. Either way, this recipe is always a hit.
For successful Twinkies, make sure to cream the sugar and butter. You might be asking how a heavy stick of butter can be light and fluffy, but the answer is simple! Make sure the butter is at room temperature. Combine with the sugar and beat for several minutes (if you’re using a hand mixer) until tiny pockets of air form.
This post includes links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
Homemade Twinkies recipe
what you'll need
let's do it
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray canoe pan with cooking spray.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy and add eggs slowly. Stir in vanilla.
- In separate bowl, mix baking powder, flour and salt. Pour half of flour mixture into butter mixture and mix in milk then add remaining flour.
- Fill ¾ way up with cake batter and bake 10-15 minutes.
- Cool completely. Then fill piping bag with whipped topping frosting, poke 3 holes in bottom of Twinkie and pipe in frosting. Enjoy!