Much of the pre-made almond extract you see in stores is made from synthetic flavors, so homemade almond extract is not just a tastier alternative, but a healthier one, too!
Almond extract is used so much in baking; you’ll be ready for any recipe with this 8 oz batch. Plus, it’s also a delicious addition to fruits and berries—just add a few drops to your fresh fruit.
Once you remove the vanilla bean from the alcohol, allow it to dry and then you can place it in some granulated sugar to make vanilla-scented sugar for cakes and cookies.
homemade almond extract recipe
- 1 cup almonds, blanched
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1 cup vodka, good-quality!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and place the almonds on a clean baking sheet. Bake the almonds for about 10–12 minutes or until lightly toasted. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Add the cooled almonds, vanilla bean and vodka to a clean glass jar with a tight fitting lid. Make sure the vanilla and almonds are both completely submerged in the alcohol.
- Seal tightly and store in a cool dark place for 8–10 weeks, shaking the bottle occasionally.
- Strain the almonds and vanilla and store the extract indefinitely in an airtight container.
Use almond extract in addition to vanilla or even in place of it for your baking recipes!