Make a favorite Mediterranean meal in your very own kitchen with this easy-to-follow homemade baked falafel recipe! It’s a healthy vegetarian dish that your entire family will enjoy!
The best part about this falafel recipe? It’s baked and light on the oil, breadcrumbs and salt unlike the traditional fare, which is usually deep-fried.
Serve your fresh, homemade baked falafel in a pita with lettuce, tomato, onion and yummy yogurt cucumber sauce—delish!
Homemade Baked Falafel Recipe
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 15 oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees, line a baking sheet with parchment paper then lightly coat the parchment with cooking spray.
- Place onion, cilantro, parsley and garlic into a food processor then pulse until finely chopped but not liquefied. Add drained garbanzo beans then pulse until the beans are chopped small but still in visible pieces.
- Transfer mixture to a medium-sized mixing bowl then add egg, olive oil, cumin, salt, pepper, cayenne, lemon juice and baking powder. Stir until well combined, then add breadcrumbs and stir once again until ingredients are well incorporated. The mixture should hold together when compressed. Add a bit more breadcrumbs if needed to bind the mixture. Use an ice cream scoop to form 8 equal portions then place them on the prepared baking sheet. Spray tops with cooking spray then press to flatten the scoops into patties that are about 1" thick.
- Bake 10 minutes, remove from oven then flip. Spray the tops with a bit more cooking spray, then return the pan to the oven for an additional 10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
To ensure this dish is a home run, take care not to over-process the garbanzo beans. You don’t want to turn the mixture in to a purée.