Homemade Baked Falafel
Make a favorite Mediterranean meal in your very own kitchen with this easy-to-follow homemade baked falafel recipe! It’s a healthy vegetarian dish that your entire family will enjoy!
The best part about this falafel recipe? It’s baked and light on the oil, breadcrumbs and salt unlike the traditional fare, which is usually deep-fried.
Serve your fresh, homemade baked falafel in a pita with lettuce, tomato, onion and yummy yogurt cucumber sauce—delish!
Homemade Baked Falafel Recipe
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Pour 2 Tbsp oil onto baking sheet and set aside (it will seem like a lot of oil)
- Place dried chickpeas in large bowl and cover with water by 3-4 inches. The chickpeas will swell as they rehydrate so cover with plenty of water.
- The next day drain the chickpeas and pour into the bowl of a food processor. Add the garlic, red onion, cumin, coriander, cayenne, cilantro, salt, pepper, baking soda and lemon juice. Pulse until completely incorporated scraping sides of bowl if needed. Transfer mixture to large bowl.
- Using a small cookie scoop form 24 small balls about the size of a golf ball. Form balls into small patties and place on the prepared cookie sheet. Brush each pattie with remaining oil and place in oven. Bake for 10-15 minutes until starting to brown. If they are not brown enough, brown them in a hot skillet. Just do not over-bake or they will get extremely dry.
- While falafel is baking stir together the tahini sauce. To a medium bowl add tahini and water. Whisk until smooth. Add lemon juice, garlic, salt and cumin. Whisk again and set aside.
- Serve falafel on your favorite salad or stuffed into pita bread with lettuce, cucumber, tomato, onion and plenty of sauce. Enjoy!