You know those 99¢ bags of store-brand garlic and herb croutons? We absolutely love those and figured it was time they made it into a recipe!
These yummy croutons make a deliciously crispy coating on our lazy baked chicken. And it’s super quick and easy to make!
The process for making this dish couldn’t be easier and the kids will love this alternative to regular baked chicken. We did discover upon testing this recipe that the croutons are a solid supplement for seasonings, but you will need to add salt.
Even dredging the chicken is easy. Since the chicken breasts marinate in a resealable bag, all you have to do is dip them in the crushed croutons before placing them in the pan. This means you only have an active prep time of about 10 minutes and our lazy baked chicken is ready to serve after only 25–35 minutes in the oven!
Lazy Baked Chicken Recipe
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 5 oz bag croutons, any flavor
- Trim chicken breasts then place in a gallon-sized resealable bag. Mix buttermilk, salt and pepper together then pour over chicken breasts. Seal bag then move chicken around to coat completely in buttermilk. Allow chicken to marinate in the buttermilk mixture for at least 30 minutes and up to 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Crush entire package of croutons into fine crumbs by hand or by pulsing in a food processor then pour onto a large plate or shallow dish (like a pie dish). Spray a 9" x 13" casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Remove chicken from marinade then dredge each breast in crouton crumbs to coat completely. Place in baking dish. Discard excess marinade.
- Bake 25–35 minutes depending on thickness, until thickest part of chicken has cooked through. Remove from oven and allow chicken to rest 2 minutes before serving.
There are many flavors of croutons to choose from, just pick the one you like best!