Sometimes lemon chicken is a little too ‘lemony.’ Our lemon garlic slow cooker chicken is not too sour or garlicky but is juicy, tender and savory.
We’re not messing around when it comes to simple solutions for tailor-made sauce. Once you thicken the mixture, add lemon juice to taste if you like it on the sour side or sugar if you prefer this dish to be a little sweeter.
Our slow cooker chicken is much leaner and healthier than traditional restaurant versions because we opted out of using breadcrumbs and refrained from any frying. Serve over pasta or with your favorite steamed veggies—yum!
Lemon Garlic Slow Cooker Chicken Recipe
- 14.5 oz can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, about 1 lemon
- 5 - 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp chicken bouillon
- 2 - 2 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- salt and pepper
- wedges lemon, for serving
- Combine chicken broth, lemon juice, minced garlic, oregano and chicken bouillon in slow cooker then stir to dissolve bouillon. Once bouillon has dissolved, add chicken and butter.
- Cover and cook on low for 2 hours or just until chicken is cooked through and tender. Overcooking chicken breasts will result in them becoming dry.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker, dice, slice or leave breasts whole then transfer to a serving dish.
- Stir together cornstarch and water in a medium saucepan. Add the liquid from the slow cooker to the saucepan. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, whisking continuously. Once sauce comes to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Add a few drops of fresh lemon juice for a little more zing or a pinch of sugar if it’s a bit too tart. Pour sauce over chicken, garnish with fresh chopped parsley then serve over rice or pasta with a lemon wedge on the side.
If you like a perfect presentation with nicely-browned chicken breasts, you can brown them in the butter on the stove top and then add them to the slow cooker.