This marinated mozzarella with rosemary and lemon recipe is super flavorful, elegant and easy! Fresh mozzarella cheese and a few simple herbs and seasonings are all you need to bring the wow-factor to your next cheese board or a salad creation.
Simply cube the cheese then drop it into a pint-sized jar. Add ingredients that you prepared in the saucepan then allow it to sit for as little as two hours—but overnight is so much better!
You can use the oil for dipping breads and salad dressings, and enjoy the cheese alone in your favorite dish—there are no rules on how to use this delectable recipe—it even makes a great host gift!
marinated mozzarella recipe
- 16 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, drained
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more if needed
- 2 cloves garlic, whole cloves, lightly crushed but still whole
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice, fresh squeezed
- 4 sprig rosemary, bruised
- 1/2 zest of lemon
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes, crushed
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- cracked black pepper, to taste
- Drain the mozzarella then cut into 1" cubes. Drop the mozzarella cubes into a pint-sized jar or similar-sized container with a lid then set aside.
- Add the olive oil and garlic cloves to a small saucepan. Crush the garlic clove enough so that it releases its flavor, but still holds together. Set the saucepan over medium heat only long enough that the garlic begins to sizzle—about 2 minutes. Immediately remove the pan from heat then stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Allow the oil to cool in the pan until it is cool enough to touch. The oil may still be warm, but not hot.
- Pour the oil mixture over the mozzarella cubes and tuck the rosemary, garlic and lemon zest down into the oil. If the oil does not completely cover the mozzarella cubes, pour additional olive oil into the container, until they’re covered completely.
- Cover with a lid then refrigerate for at least 2 hours, but overnight is better. Your marinated mozzarella will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks, depending on the freshness of the mozzarella when purchased.
Feta cheese is also a great choice for this recipe!