Time is a precious commodity, especially when you have a busy family. With our breakfast cereal bars recipe, you can load the kids in the car and take breakfast to-go—these bars taste great and they’re filling too.
We know healthy cereal bars can be ‘boring,’ but not when you add peanut butter and honey for naturally sweet flavor and assorted nuts and seeds for texture. You can also add chocolate chips and dried fruits to your liking and feel great about a snack that doesn’t contain any funky additives.
Have fun experimenting with any of your favorite brands of cereal—we experimented with whole-grain O’s, but anything with granola, bran or whole grains are also a splendid twist to this already great recipe.
Peanut Butter Cereal Bars Recipe
- 6 cups cereal
- 1 1/2 cups assorted nuts, or seeds
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups peanut butter, creamy or chunky
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt, omit if using salted nuts
- Coat a 9" x 13" dish with cooking spray then set aside. In a large mixing bowl, add cereal and assorted nuts or seeds, toss to combine then set aside.
- Add sugar and honey to a large saucepan and place over medium heat. Allow mixture to come to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and cook at a rapid bubble for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat then stir in peanut butter, vanilla and salt until completely blended. Pour mixture over the cereal and nuts and stir gently.
- Press into the prepared pan and let the mixture cool. Once firm, cut into bars.
Our breakfast cereal bars are so versatile; they can be enjoyed for breakfast or as an afternoon snack!