Easy DIY concrete necklace
Add a new dimension to your wardrobe with a classy concrete necklace! It’s extremely lightweight and quick drying cement makes for super easy mixing. Just follow package instructions to get the correct consistency.
There are so many Silicone molds available that you’ll have a tough time choosing just one. Lucky for you, one bag of cement will make enough to start your own line of jewelry!
The key to this craft is all about timing. It’s not that it takes very long to make but more about how quickly the cement can harden.
When to insert the jewelry hardware may vary according to the size of mold used and how thickly you’ve poured the mix so use our instructions as guidelines.
When completely dry, add your own creative touch by adding some glitz with metallic spray paint.
- 2 cups quick-drying cement
- ½ cup of water
- container to mix cement
- paint stir stick
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M9N7CM/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000M9N7CM&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20″ target=”_blank” title=”Silicone Molds”]Silicone molds[/url]
- cooking spray
- jewelry chain and head pins
- gold spray paint (optional)
- The first thing to do is to create a space for your project. It can get a little messy so place newspaper or scrap paper large enough to cover your work surface.
- Next, get out your mixing container, cement mix and stir stick. Follow package instructions to make the cement and mix until you have a thick, liquid consistency—your stir stick should easily swirl in the container.
- Pour your mix into the mold—ours was about ¼” thick. Wait approximately 15–20 minutes, depending upon the size of your mold (ours was 1½” tall) then remove it from the mold. Push your head pin through the bottom and allow ½” to poke out of the top. Allow the concrete to completely dry for another 10 minutes.
- Using jewelry pliers, bend the head pin to make an eye, open the jump ring and hook the chain to the eye. Close the jump ring.
- If you want to embellish your jewelry, paint with gold spray paint.