Upgraded Ramen Noodles
Everyone remembers their frugal beginnings—hoarding the super-store sized rations of ramen in the pantry—but we’ve got an upgraded ramen noodles recipe inspired by Thai Tom Yum, a traditional Thai hot and sour soup, and it will knock your socks off!
You’d never guess that this inexpensive packet of noodles, along with a few other simple ingredients, would yield a dish worthy of company! With yummy mushrooms, dried ginger, crisp yellow onion, sweet Roma tomato and a kick of lime—you’ll sriracha your way to happiness, bite by bite.
The preparation couldn’t be easier—simply combine the ingredients in a large saucepan! Break out the chopsticks and enjoy!
Watch our video on how to peel and grate ginger!
Upgraded Ramen Noodles Recipe
- 2 packages ramen noodles, (any flavor such as: chicken, oriental or shrimp)
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 zest of lime
- juice of 1 lime, about 1 Tbsp
- 1 tsp ginger, dried, or fresh grated ginger if available
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 - 2 tsp sriracha sauce, homemade, or any hot chili garlic sauce
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Roma tomato, seeded and coarsely chopped
- Remove noodles and spice packet from packaging then set aside.
- Place large saucepan over medium heat and add the water, seasoning packets (2), onion, lime zest, lime juice, ginger, soy sauce and sriracha.
- Bring mixture to a boil then add uncooked noodles. Let noodles cook for 1 minute, just until they have softened slightly and begun to separate. Add coconut milk, mushrooms and tomatoes then continue cooking until the noodles are cooked through and tender.
- Transfer noodles to a bowl then garnish with chopped cilantro, chopped chili and additional lime wedges if desired. Enjoy!