Faux Bois Frosted Vase
We always admire the beautiful etched glassware we see in the store but they can be super expensive! So we made our own faux bois frosted vase with frost paint and a printable pattern that looks just like the real thing!
Check around the house first before heading out to buy a vase—you may have one lurking in a closet that you forgot you even had. If you don’t have one already, you can easily find one at a garage sale or your local dollar store. You don’t want to spend a ton, in case you mess up!
To get you started, we’ve got a great pattern that replicates wood grain. It’s time consuming to cut out, but natural enough to go with any décor—you get the regal effect of etched glass without the toxicity or expense.
- [url href=”https://everydaydishes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/diy-faux-bois-frosted-vase-cherylstyle-printable.pdf” target=”_blank” title=”Everyday Dishes & DIY Faux Bois Frosted Vase”]Everyday Dishes & DIY Faux Bois Frosted Vase Printable[/url]
- glass vase
- X-acto knife
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WZ2JMA/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B000WZ2JMA&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20″ target=”_blank” title=”Self-Adhesive Shelf Liner”]self-adhesive shelf liner[/url]
- painter’s tape
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007C7XJ5W/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B007C7XJ5W&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20″ target=”_blank” title=”Martha Stewart Frost Etching Effect”]Martha Stewart Frost Etching Effect[/url]
- Download the [url href=”https://everydaydishes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/diy-faux-bois-frosted-vase-cherylstyle-printable.pdf” target=”_blank” title=”Everyday Dishes & DIY Faux Bois Frosted Vase Printable”]Everyday Dishes & DIY faux bois frosted vase printable[/url] and open in [url href=”http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/” target=”_blank” title=”Adobe Reader”]Adobe Reader[/url]. You can enlarge the pattern if needed, to fit your vase.
- Print on regular paper then cut to fit the size of your vase. Next cut the shelf liner slightly larger than the vase. Remove backing from shelf liner, wrap around the vase and rub to remove bubbles.
- Wrap the printable with the print side facing out around the vase and tape to secure. Tape off approximately 1/8″ at the top and bottom of vase with painter’s tape to get a nice, clean edge.
- Carefully trace over the pattern using an X-acto knife making sure to press hard enough to cut through the shelf liner. Don’t worry if you go outside the lines of the wood pattern–you’re emulating nature, and nature’s not perfect! Continue cutting the pattern all around the vase.
- Once you’ve cut all lines, use your X-acto knife to trim the paper pattern off (using the painter’s tape at the top and bottom as a guide).
- Next, peel off the shelf liner on every other section of the pattern, keeping in mind that the pieces you pull off are the ones that will be frosted. If you’re having trouble lifting off the liner, use the point of the X-acto knife blade to get it started.
- Once you’ve removed all sections, paint the vase with the Frost Etching Effect. Set vase aside for approximately 2 hours until it’s dry to the touch.
- After the vase has dried, carefully pull the remaining shelf liner off the vase. Use your X-acto knife to cut the paint from the shelf liner if necessary.
- Clean up any rough edges by gently scraping the paint with your X-acto knife. Follow the bottle’s instructions on how to cure the paint then fill with flowers and proudly display!