Game day’s starting early and everyone is heading to your house to cheer on the team! Our DIY game day koozies are cute, practical and sure to impress the gang.
Astro Turf, or artificial grass, makes unique koozies that can easily be decorated with peel and stick letters and numbers. Astro Turf comes in a large piece so you’ll have plenty of extra to make koozies or coasters for every fan at your party!
Just measure and cut the Astro Turf according to how many koozies you’d like to make. Wrap it tightly around an unopened can—preferably a cold one. Glue the koozies together using a hot glue gun.
Why a full, cold can? If any glue should seep through, the coldness of the can will make it easier for the glue to release.
Not crazy about the feel of Astro Turf? Simply wrap with a layer of felt then add football appliques or recreate a football field using leather laces with peel and stick numbers. You may want to place a dab of glue on the numbers to ensure they stay in place.
The last thing to do is insert your cold brew or soda and sit back to enjoy the football game.
Need some extra coasters to keep avid fans in line and wet rings off your coffee table? Download, print and cut out our Everyday Dishes & DIY coaster printable to make a football shaped coaster, laces and all. Place the printable on wrong side of the Astro Turf and trace. Leave the printable in place then use an X-acto knife to make slits at the ends of the laces, as illustrated on the template.
Turn the coaster over right side up and thread shoelace according to the template—just as you would a shoe. Keep the lace as flat as possible and don’t pull too tightly—you don’t want the coaster to pucker!
Snip the lace, glue starting and ending points of lace, then finish the coaster by gluing on a felt backing. Your coaster is ready to save your tabletops and appropriately decorate the house for your Super Bowl party!
This post includes links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
- [url href=”http://www.homedepot.com/p/Green-6-ft-x-8-ft-Artificial-Grass-Rug-T85-9000-6X8-BM/202274592#.Uh51b2R36rY” target=”_blank”]Astro Turf [/url]or other artificial grass (you’ll need 8¼” x 3″ for each koozie, so multiply this measurement by number of koozies you are going to create)
- white and green felt to wrap around Astro Turf (optional—if you are wrapping around the Astro Turf, you will need a piece of felt longer than 8 ¼” to allow for thickness of Astro Turf)
- number and football appliques (optional)
- peel and stick letters (optional)
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00367V1TS/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00367V1TS&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20″ target=”_blank”]white suede laces[/url] (optional)
- glue gun and glue sticks
- football coasters
- [url href=”https://everydaydishes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/DIY-game-day-koozies-cherylstyle-cheryl-najafi-coaster-template.pdf” target=”_blank”]Everyday Dishes & DIY coaster printable[/url]
- Astro Turf or other artificial grass (1 coaster measures approximately 3½” x 5″, so multiply by the number of coasters you are going to create)
- permanent marker
- X-acto knife
- white shoelace (1 shoelace is enough for 2 coasters)
- hot glue and gun
- green felt
- let’s do it
- Cut Astro Turf and wrap it tightly around can. Glue with hot glue gun (use a full, cold can so the can doesn’t collapse and the glue releases easily if it seeps through).
- Wrap Astro Turf with felt (if desired) then add favorite team player numbers, football appliques or recreate a football field with white suede laces and peel and stick numbers.
- Insert a cold beer (or soda) and enjoy the game!
- Download the [url href=”https://everydaydishes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/DIY-game-day-koozies-cherylstyle-cheryl-najafi-coaster-template.pdf” target=”_blank”]Everyday Dishes & DIY coaster printable[/url] and open in [url href=”http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/” target=”_blank”]Adobe Reader[/url]. Print and cut out using scissors.
- Place printable on back of Astro Turf and trace outline of football with marker.
- Leave printable in place and use X-acto knife to cut slits at ends of long shoelace (1−2) and short shoelaces (3−12).
- Turn coaster over so Astro Turf is facing right side up.
- Thread shoelace through coaster using printable for direction on how to thread shoelace (come up at 1, then go down at 2).
- Leave [url href=”http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aglet” target=”_blank”]aglet [/url](wrapped tip on end of shoelace) intact so it makes it easy to thread (if you no longer have a tip, attach a safety pin to one end to make threading easier).
- Continue threading shoelace through coaster (up at 3, down at 4, up at 5, down at 6, etc.) like you are lacing a shoe until you have reached 12 (see template for directions on threading).
- Snip shoelace after making certain it is lying flat and isn’t pulled too tight.
- Glue start and end of lace with hot glue.
- Trace coaster on felt using marker.
- Cut out felt and hot glue to back of coaster.
- Use your coaster to cradle your favorite beverage during the big game.