Handprint Heart Card
Make Valentine’s Day a lasting memory with our handprint heart card! A shadowbox, paint, a few layers of paper and a small photo of your child make an easy DIY that’s inexpensive and unique.
All hands on deck! You’ll literally need your kiddo’s hands for this project, so put away the snacks for just a few minutes. You’ll want clean hands for this, although they won’t be clean for long.
Begin by pouring paint on a sheet of paper then dipping your child’s hands in the paint. Press both hands onto a clean sheet of paper, making sure to connect thumbs and index fingers to form a heart shape. Allow the print to dry while washing off those dirty little hands.
When the prints are dry, cut out the hands using scissors, leaving space between the thumbs and index finger uncut. Grab your X-acto knife to cut that space into the shape of a heart.
You can now center the hand cutout on a sheet of patterned paper, trace the heart onto it and cut it out using your X-acto knife.
Line up the heart tracings with layers of paper to act as a frame for a photo small enough to be seen through the hearts. Glue the photo onto a third sheet of paper, line papers up again then cut to fit frame.
Place paper with the photo on it inside the shadowbox, apply self-adhesive felt furniture protectors craft felt on each corner and two near the photo then repeat the process using a blank sheet of paper. Place the patterned paper with the handprint on top as the final layer then close it up.
Add adhesive letters with a Valentine saying, the date or your kiddo’s name on the glass and you’ll have a keepsake you’ll enjoy for years to come.
This post includes links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
Handprint heart card instructions
- shadowbox frame
- red or pink paint
- child’s hands
- X-acto knife
- red, pink and patterned paper
- photo of your child
- glue (spray mount adhesive or glue stick)
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MY6VS8/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B001MY6VS8&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20″ target=”_blank” title=”Floor Protectors Furniture Leg Pads Felt Craft”]12 floor protectors furniture leg pads felt craft[/url]
- adhesive letters
- Pour paint onto sheet of paper then dip child’s hands in paint.
- Press one hand onto clean sheet of paper then press opposite hand on paper, connecting thumbs and index finger.
- Allow to dry.
- Cut out hands using scissors, leaving space between the thumbs and index finger uncut.
- Cut out heart between thumbs and index finger using X-acto knife.
- Center hand cutout on sheet of patterned paper.
- Trace heart onto patterned paper then cut out with X-acto knife.
- Line up hearts with patterned paper then glue together.
- Line up second sheet of paper (red or pink).
- Trace heart slightly smaller than first then cut out with X-acto knife.
- Print photo small enough to view through smaller heart hole.
- Line up photo with other hearts then paste onto third sheet of paper.
- Line up all sheets of paper then cut to fit frame.
- Place paper with photo inside frame.
- Place felt pads on top of photo paper, four in corners and two near photo.
- Place 2nd sheet of blank paper on top of felt pads.
- Place felt pads on top of blank paper, four in corners and two near photo.
- Place hand/patterned paper on top and close lid.
- Place adhesive letters for desired saying and date on glass.