Lets face it—if you’re a mom or a crafter you probably have stacks of magazines and instructional books scattered throughout the house. Wouldn’t it be nice to keep references readily available and show off your style at the same time? Our DIY cereal box organizer does just that!
An empty cereal box is the perfect size to do this project. Choose coordinating patterned and solid colored craft paper for the exterior and interior of the box, respectively. Black felt for the box bottom makes it easier to slide the organizer on a shelf or desktop. You’ll need some for the interior bottom as well—ordinary craft paper would tear with the constant retrieval of magazines.
Cut the top flaps of the cereal box completely off, using scissors, then follow instructions for how to measure and cut the rest of the box to make it functional as an organizer.
Using three sheets of patterned paper, trace the front, back and sides of the box, then cut out with an X-acto knife. Repeat with solid colored paper. Use adhesive spray to attach the solid colored paper to the interior, pressing firmly in place. Trim any excess with the knife and use spray adhesive to attach black felt to the interior bottom of the box. Press firmly in place.
Repeat the process for the exterior of the box using the patterned craft paper. Don’t forget to attach the piece of felt to the bottom of the box! Finish box edges with coordinating duct tape or washi tape and you’re good to go!
Wouldn’t this be a great time to sort through your magazines and recycle those you don’t need? Keep only the ones with the best ideas and examples in your organizer, then your next project is just an arm’s reach away!
- empty cereal box
- 3 – 12″ x 12″ sheets of patterned craft paper
- 3 – 12″ x 12″ sheets solid colored craft paper
- 1 – 8.5″ x 11″ sheet black felt
- X-acto knife
- spray adhesive
- duct tape or washi tape
- Cut top flaps of cereal box completely off using scissors then lay box down, front side up.
- Measure 4″ across from the top left corner and make a mark then measure 5″ up from the bottom right corner and make a mark. Use a ruler to draw a diagonal line connecting the marks.
- Flip box over and measure 4″ across from the top right corner and make a mark then measure 5″ up from the bottom left side of the box and make a mark. Use a ruler to draw a diagonal line connecting the marks.
- Cut along the lines you made on both the front and back of the box, then straight across side of box which joins them and remove any excess cardboard.
- Using 3 pieces of 12″ x 12″ patterned craft paper, trace front, back and sides of box, then cut out with X-acto and ruler. Repeat using 3 pieces of 12″ x 12″ solid craft paper (for interior box lining).
- Trace bottom of box onto felt twice and cut out (for lining bottom and inside bottom of box).
- Attach solid colored pieces to interior sides of box and felt to interior bottom using spray adhesive, press firmly into place, then trim any excess with X-acto knife.
- Attach patterned paper to exterior sides of box and felt to exterior bottom of the box, using spray adhesive, press firmly into place, then trim any excess with X-acto knife.
- Use coordinating-colored duct tape or washi tape to finish edges. Fill with your favorite magazines and display.