Our leather keychain is simply designed and easy to make with a precision knife, denim button and ring! It takes only 30 minutes to make, looks professionally-made and makes a great Father’s Day gift that any dad would appreciate.
We used a precision knife to form holes for a denim button but a leather punch would come in handy for this and future crafts. It’s an inexpensive tool that makes perfectly round holes in a variety of sizes.
Denim buttons are pretty sturdy but if you’re planning to weigh your keychain down with lots of keys, consider using a heavy-duty button closure and a large swivel hook.
Once you see how quick and easy this craft is, you’ll want to make several at once to keep on hand for those unexpected occasions.
This post includes links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
How to make a leather keychain
How to Make a Leather Keychain
- Make a loop by folding the good side of the leather strip almost in half, leaving one end extended by 1".
- Mark the center of the end that’s extended. Using a precision knife, make 2 slits to form an ‘X.’ It should be just large enough to accommodate the button tack (see photos).
- Fold the extended end over the ends of the loop and make 2 more holes that align with the first. This will allow the tack and button to be fastened through all 3 ends of the leather strip.
- Push the tack through the good side of the extended end’s hole, insert key ring then continue to push the tack through the next hole.
- Flip the leather loop over and push the button through the third hole and align with the tack. Using a hammer, tap the tack into the button to secure.
- Attach a swivel hook if desired or place keys directly onto the ring.