It’s hard to enjoy a brisk winter day when you can’t seem to get warm. Take the edge off cooler temperatures with easy-to-make DIY pocket hand warmers.
DIY pocket hand warmers
- polyester-free felt squares or flannel fabric
- pinking shears
- straight pins
- sewing machine
- Cut fabric (with pinking shears) into shape of choice. You’ll need two identical pieces of fabric for each hand warmer.
- Pin fabric for each hand warmer together so pattern faces out. Make sure edges align.
- Sew fabric around edges (about three quarters complete) and leave small opening to fill with rice.
- Scoop rice into opening, filling pod about half way. Put straight pin through fabric so rice stays to one side.
- Sew small opening shut and remove pin.
- If you’ve created a hand warmer creature, use colored felt to cut shapes for eyes, ears, nose and mouth and secure into place with hot glue.
- If using googly eyes, make sure they’re heat safe. Secure into place with hot glue.
- Microwave pocket warmers on high 30-45 seconds and stick in your pockets.
- Go outside and play!
Use a funnel to keep the rice in your DIY pocket warmer and off the floor.