Whether you’re entertaining the kids or making gifts for friends, our easy DIY blanket stitch felt doll craft is sure to be a hit!
What’s fun about this DIY is that the directions are simple and it’s easy to make a great-looking doll with little effort. You can even make the dolls look like people you know or make funny-looking characters with your favorite embellishments. Craft day will be as fun for the adults as it is for the kiddos!
Give your felt doll personality by gluing buttons, googly eyes and other fun embellishments to its face and body.
Get creative! Use objects from around the house—feathers can be used as eyelashes, old strips of fabric can be used as clothes and ribbon can be used for hair bows.
How to make a blanket stitch felt doll
- blanket stitch felt doll template
- 2 – 9″ x 11″ felt squares in assorted colors for each doll, plus extra for desired embellishments
- black or blue ink pen
- embroidery thread in assorted colors
- embroidery needle
- buttons, googly eyes, feathers, ribbon, etc. for embellishments
- hot glue gun
- cotton batting or similar stuffing
- Download the [url href=”https://everydaydishes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/blanket-stitch-felt-doll-template-everydaydishes_com.pdf” target=”_blank” title=”Blanket stitch felt doll template”]blanket stitch felt doll template[/url] and open in [url href=”http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/” target=”_blank” title=”Adobe Reader”]Adobe Reader[/url].
- Print and cut out template.
- Trace doll shape on 2 pieces of felt using the ink pen.
- Trace face and hair shapes on separate pieces of felt with ink pen and cut out.
- Thread embroidery needle with long piece of embroidery thread.
- Layer 2 doll shaped pieces of felt on top of each other.
- Blanket stitch around edge of doll starting on bottom right or left corner; stop. When you reach other bottom corner leaving 3″ opening at bottom for stuffing (it’s super easy to learn how to sew a [url href=”https://everydaydishes.com/showcase/how-to-sew-a-blanket-stitch-diy/” target=”_blank” title=”Blanket Stitch Video”]blanket stitch[/url]).
- Leaving thread and needle intact, stuff doll with cotton batting through opening in bottom (fill doll generously but not so much you can’t sew bottom shut).
- Continue to blanket stitch doll until sewn completely shut; knot the ends (if you prefer not to stitch, you can hot glue the doll shut instead).
- Attach hair to round face of doll with hot glue.
- Attach face with hair to doll with hot glue.
- Glue buttons, eyes and other embellishments to doll as desired.