Learn how to make a glass bottle lamp to suit your style for way less than you think.
The scariest part is drilling through glass, but it’s easier than you think! It’s really not difficult—just let the drill do all the work and have a bit of patience!
You really do need a drill bit that’s made specifically to cut glass. It costs about $10 but think of all the projects you’ll be able to do! It’ll take a little time so be patient—you don’t want it to break!
A lamp kit makes it easy to wire the bottle for lighting. All you need is the right size shade.
This post includes links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
How to make a glass bottle lamp
- glass jug or whiskey bottle, washed with labels removed
- glass paint and paint roller
- masking tape
- 5/16″ glass and tile drill bit
- 3/8″ glass and tile drill bit
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004FVYMP4/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B004FVYMP4&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20&linkId=MHHJ2TEQQSZ3N4OU” target=”_blank” title=”Lamp Kit”]lamp kit[/url]
- Paint base of bottle using glass paint and a paint roller. Allow it to dry.
- Turn bottle on its side and mark a spot approximately 1.5″ from the bottom of the bottle, with masking tape.
- Using the 5/16″ bit first, apply just a little pressure and slowly drill hole. As the hole gets larger, switch to the larger bit.
- Once the hole is complete, feed wire through hole and follow instructions on the lamp kit package to assemble.
- Screw in light bulb, plug in and turn on the switch. Let there be light!