Our colorful DIY lit canvas sign is easy to make and a definite conversation-starter. A printable placed on canvas then cut out and backed with Vellum comes to life with mini lights.
Choose a solid color to paint the canvas or use a smidge of alcohol for a watercolor effect as we did. It’s a bit messy but the results are fabulous!
You can adapt it for any word or phrase you’d like. Simply type out any word, enlarge it then print and flip it over to its reverse side. Be sure to use strong tape—something other than Scotch tape—to secure the Vellum and mini lights. Packing tape is sticky but it works really well.
This post includes links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
How to make a lit canvas sign
- acrylic paint
- rubbing alcohol (optional)
- DIY lit canvas sign printable
- packing tape
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005KRSWM6/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B005KRSWM6&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20&linkId=3JQYTWBOZCCQNF6E” target=”_blank” title=”Precision knife”]precision knife[/url]
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0086XIBCW/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0086XIBCW&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20&linkId=27AUWB7ZBBLB4O63″ target=”_blank” title=”Clear Vellum Paper”]clear Vellum paper[/url]
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M2DPLIE/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00M2DPLIE&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20&linkId=CQNFPUIUXP33SV3J” target=”_blank” title=”Twinkle Lights”]string of battery-operated mini lights[/url]
- Paint canvas your choice of color(s). For an optional watercolor effect, use a variety of colors and allow them to dry. Hold the canvas upright over a plastic-lined trashcan and pour just enough alcohol over the canvas to cover it—this will blend the colors. Let the excess drip into the can then allow the painting to dry.
- Download the [url href=”http://everydaydishes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/diy-lit-canvas-sign-everydaydishes_com-printable.pdf” target=”_blank” title=”DIY lit canvas sign printable”]DIY lit canvas sign printable[/url] and open in [url href=”http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/” target=”_blank” title=”Adobe Reader”]Adobe Reader[/url].
- Print and lay it on the back of the canvas then tape into place.
- Cut out ‘LOVE’ letters using a precision knife. Glue sheets of Vellum onto the back of the canvas, making sure to cover the letters.
- Arrange a string of mini lights all along the inside edge of the back of the frame and secure with tape. Lean on a dresser or hang on a wall and turn on to set the mood!