String Art Letters
Making string art letters is easier than it looks! A board, wire nails and brightly-colored thread make string art letters an inexpensive piece of artwork for your home.
There’s no pattern or printable to download. Just type a letter to print out, enlarge it to fit your board then outline it with nails. Try to space the nails one-half inch apart then crisscross threads to fill in the letter—it doesn’t have to be perfect!
This technique works on just about any shape. If your letter has a few curves, space the nails more closely together to form the necessary curvature.
We do recommend using wire nails. The nail head is slightly larger than brad nails so there’s less chance of the string slipping off the nail.
This post includes links to purchase items you’ll need from our affiliates.
How to make string art letters
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003A0FNPE/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B003A0FNPE&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20&linkId=CVQ36ELGNWUT6PUE” target=”_blank” title=”Birch Plywood”]birch plywood[/url], ⅜” x 12″ x 12″
- printout of desired letter
- [url href=”http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MJBIIC/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B005MJBIIC&linkCode=as2&tag=chery01-20&linkId=C22IQ2GY7RKS3KVZ” target=”_blank” title=”Wire Nails”]wire nails[/url], #18 x ⅝”
- thread or fine string
- hanging hardware
- Paint front and sides of plywood desired color, then allow it to dry.
- Choose desired letter and font. Enlarge it as much as possible to fit 8.5″ x 11″ paper then print out.
- Place printout on plywood and begin outlining the letter with nails, using a hammer to secure them in place (refer to our photos). Space nails approximately 1/2″–1″ apart. Space them closer together to form any curves.
- Knot one end of thread and, starting at one corner of the letter, wrap thread just below the head of the first nail. Continue to wrap around each of the nails, in no particular pattern, until it starts to form the shape of the letter. Fill in the letter by crisscrossing the thread. Once complete, knot the thread then trim excess.
- Flip plywood over and carefully attach hanging hardware to the back—the nails for the string art will support the board to keep it from wobbling.