Einkorn Broccoli Cheese Soup
One-hour einkorn broccoli cheese soup—if that isn’t enough to stop you in your tracks, we don’t know what will. A large pot or Dutch oven does the heavy lifting, so you have a hearty, comfort food-style soup in no time!
Because it’s so quick and easy to make, this recipe is great to prepare on the weeknights when you’re in a pinch for time. It’s also a nice game day treat, or when it’s plain ol’ cold outside and you need a hug from the inside out!
This soup is thick, but if you prefer something a little on the lighter side, try adding more broth. You can also kick this recipe up a notch by serving it in bread bowls for a fun presentation.
Einkorn Broccoli Cheese Soup Recipe
Make an awesome, hearty pot of soup in less than an hour with this simple broccoli cheese soup recipe!
Yield: 10 servings
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup all-purpose einkorn flour
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 lbs broccoli, frozen
- 1 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lb American cheese, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Place a large soup pot over medium-high heat and melt butter. Add onion and cook 2–3 minutes until onion begins to soften. Add white wine and cook until the wine is almost completely evaporated.
- Sprinkle onions with einkorn flour then use a whisk to stir for about 1 minute. Add chicken broth while whisking constantly and continue whisking until flour is completely incorporated. Add broccoli, half-and-half, salt, pepper and garlic powder and stir to combine.
- Bring mixture to a boil stirring frequently, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- If a finer texture is desired, pulse the soup in batches in a blender or use an immersion blender right in the pot. Add American cheese cubes to the soup a handful at a time, stirring until melted before adding the next handful. Add shredded cheese, stir until melted then remove from heat. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper and thin the consistency by adding a bit more chicken broth if desired.
Be sure to remove from heat after adding cheese or stir frequently to avoid scorching.
Calories: 379kcal, Carbohydrates: 13g, Protein: 17g, Fat: 29g, Saturated Fat: 17g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 8g, Trans Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 86mg, Sodium: 1154mg, Potassium: 531mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 5g, Vitamin A: 1419IU, Vitamin C: 82mg, Calcium: 658mg, Iron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @EverydayDishes or tag #everydaydishes!