Looking for a hearty and delicious dinner? We promise you will receive rave reviews when you serve up this chicken pot pie stromboli. The flaky, buttery pastry filled with hearty chicken and veggies is sure to comfort and satisfy anyone at your table. Plus this dish is way more fun to serve than a traditional pot pie. It looks so impressive!
Chicken Pot Pie Stromboli Recipe Tips
- No rotisserie chicken? No worries! You can use shredded chicken or even beef if it suits your fancy; just sub the chicken broth for beef broth.
- You can also switch up the veggies to use what you have on hand. While we’ve included the traditional pot pie veggies, you could also use broccoli, cauliflower, and spinach.
- The egg wash will help give the crust it’s flakiness, so make sure not to skip that step!
- Have leftovers? This warms up well. Just reheat in a low temperature oven until the interior is warm all the way through.
This post may include links to purchase items from our affiliates.
Chicken Pot Pie Stromboli Recipe
what you'll need
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 yellow onion diced
- 1 celery stalk diced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp heavy cream or milk
- 1 cup peas and carrot mix still frozen
- 1 cup rotisserie chicken cooled and shredded
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese (or jack or mozzarella), shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 sheet puff pastry defrosted
- 1 egg well beaten
let's do it
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place a large skillet over medium heat and melt the butter. Add the onion, celery salt and pepper and cook for about 4 minutes until the veggies begin to soften. Add garlic and cook an additional 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle flour over the veggies and stir to dissolve the flour. Allow the mixture to cook for about 30 seconds before adding the chicken broth. Stir to dissolve the flour in the chicken broth and bring the mixture to a bubble. Cook the filling on medium heat for about 3 minutes stirring constantly until nicely thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in cream or milk. Add the frozen vegetables and stir to incorporate. Once the veggies have been mixed in, fold in the chicken and taste for seasoning. At this point, the filling mixture should be at least room temperature if not slightly cool. If the mixture is still even slightly warm, place it in the refrigerator to cool while you roll out the pastry. It is imperative that the filling be cool before filling the pastry!
- On a lightly-floured surface, roll the puff pastry into a rectangle about 14" wide by 10" deep. With the wide end toward you, spread the filling evenly over the dough, leaving a 1" border along the sides and a 2" border on top and bottom. Sprinkle the filling with shredded cheese, brush the edges with egg wash and roll the dough into a cylinder. Transfer the roll to the prepared baking dish with the seam on the bottom.
- Press the sides of the roll together and tuck them under the cylinder. Brush the exterior with the remaining egg wash and bake for 30–35 minutes until deep golden brown all the way around. Allow the stromboli to cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
One Last Thing