This decoupage keepsake box is perfect for storing all sorts of ‘treasures’ from special occasions! You can fill it with jewelry, photos…just about anything. Plus, it’s simple to make, inexpensive and personalized with a photo.
All you need to do is stain an unfinished wooden box, sand it for an optional, vintage look (like we did) then Mod Podge a favorite photo on top. You could probably use a cigar box as well. Any sturdy box will work.
A keepsake box makes a really special one-of-a-kind gift. We made ours for Father’s Day as a gift from the kids, complete with golf balls, tees and artificial grass! If Dad’s not a golfer, adapt it for whatever he likes. Throw in swim goggles, movie passes or gift cards and place appropriately themed scrapbook paper inside.
No matter what you store inside, the photo you’ve chosen to preserve on the outside says it all.
- unfinished wood craft box
- wood stain
- small brush or cloth
- medium grit sandpaper (optional)
- photo sized to fit top of box
- 1 sheet card stock
- artificial grass cut to fit inside box
- Mod Podge
- foam brush
- homemade card
- double-sided tape
- golf balls, tees or other hobby items
- Stain a small, unfinished wooden craft box, using a small brush or a cloth. Allow it to dry completely—it may take several hours.
- While the box is drying, print and cut out a photo of the kids on card stock—you’ll want to make sure it’s sized to fit the top of the box. Set it aside.
- When the stained box is completely dry, sand it with medium grit sandpaper if a vintage look is desired (be sure to clean the box with a lint-free cloth when you’re finished).
- Next, brush a generous amount of Mod Podge on top of the box using a foam brush. Center your photo on top then apply a thin coat of Mod Podge over the top of the box and photo, pressing the photo down to adhere. Wipe any excess from the edges of the lid then allow it to dry approximately 15−20 minutes. Apply a second coat and allow it to dry.
- Once dry, place a piece of artificial grass inside the box. Create a simple, homemade card, tape it inside the lid using double-sided tape then fill the box with new golf balls and tees, or whatever gift items you like.