Hot, spicy barbecue sauce isn’t the only game in town when firing up the grill. Make a quick and easy marinade for honey mustard chicken with just three simple ingredients. Honey, Dijon mustard and Worcestershire sauce are all you need. Seriously!
The trick is to allow it the chicken to soak up that delicious marinade while pre-heating your grill for a good 45 minutes—plenty of time for your favorite drink and a few hors d’oeuvres.
Cooking lean meat and poultry over indirect heat seals in the flavor and keeps it extra moist. Sauces that contain sugar are apt to flare up or burn over direct heat, unless you plan on guarding them like a hawk every second.
Grilled Honey Mustard Chicken Recipe
what you'll need
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast about 4 medium
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 5 Tbsp whole grain or Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
let's do it
- In a shallow dish or medium-sized bowl, mix together the honey, mustard and Worcestershire sauce. Remove and set aside approximately ¼ cup of the mixture to use as a basting sauce. Add chicken breasts to remaining sauce and stir to coat.
- Allow chicken to marinate for at least 45 minutes while grill preheats or up to overnight. Once grill is hot, turn off burners on one side if using a gas grill. If using a charcoal grill, move all coals to one side.
- Lightly oil grill grates on the side without heat directly underneath. Remove chicken from marinade, allowing as much as possible to cling to chicken and place on the oiled grates over the indirect heat of grill.
- Grill chicken 14–18 minutes, turning once halfway through. After turning, baste cooked side with reserved sauce. Remove from grill when chicken is cooked through and reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees in the thickest part. Allow chicken to rest 5 minutes and spoon any remaining sauce over chicken. Serve and enjoy.