Halloween’s a big deal in your house and no one wants a boring costume. Make this year extra special with our DIY hoodie elephant costume.
A gray hooded sweatshirt will get you started on this project; upcycle an old one or buy an inexpensive one at your local discount store.
Wire coat hangers are easily cut with wire cutters then bent to shape the elephant’s ears. A hot glue gun will keep the wire in place between two pieces of grey felt. Layer with smaller pieces of pink felt, trim and whip stitch each ear to the sides of the hood.
Download our Everyday Dishes elephant costume printable to make the feet and tusks. Make three toes for each sleeve out of white felt and glue in place. Tusks are easily attached with glue to a short length of pool hose, garden hose, or even a paper towel holder.
Poke two holes in one end of your DIY trunk, thread lengths of ribbon through each, secure with knots and your little elephant will have a trunk ready to sniff any treats that are offered.
Halloween hoodie elephant costume instructions
- gray hoodie sweatshirt
- 4 sheets grey felt
- 2 sheets light pink felt
- sheet white felt
- 2 wire coat hangers
- wire cutters
- elephant costume printable
- hot glue gun
- gray thread
- 12”-18” pool hose, paper towel tube, or garden hose
- gray spray paint
- gray ribbon
- Untwist wire hangers and form into elephant ear shape, approximately 7½”w x 10”h.
- Glue wire between 2 pieces of grey felt.
- Cut around wire leaving 1” border.
- Cut same ear shape but slightly smaller out of pink felt. Repeat for other ear and [url href=”http://www.bhg.com/crafts/embroidery/basics/whipstitch/” target=”_blank” title=”Whipstitch How-To”]whipstitch[/url].
- Cut 6 toes out of white felt.
- Download the [url href=”https://everydaydishes.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/DIY-hoodie-elephant-costume-cherylstyle-cheryl-najafi-printable.pdf” target=”_blank” title=”Everyday Dishes & DIY Hoodie Elephant Costume”]elephant costume printable[/url] and open in [url href=”http://get.adobe.com/reader/otherversions/” target=”_blank” title=”Adobe Reader”]Adobe Reader[/url].
- Glue 3 toes to sleeve cuff. Repeat for other sleeve.
- Cut hose between 12” and 18” in length, depending on the size of your elephant.
- Spray paint gray and allow to dry thoroughly.
- Poke 2 holes near one end, one on each side.
- Cut 2 pieces of 24” ribbon.
- Thread ribbon into hole, secure with knot.
- Cut 2 tusks out of white felt.
- Glue tusk at same end as ribbon, one on each side.