A twist on the traditional Buckeye (an Ohio favorite), these sweet peanut butter spider candies are given a creepy, crunchy bite thanks to pretzel spider legs and edible eyes.
Or hit the easy button and substitute store-bought cake doughnut holes as alternative to making your own peanut butter candy balls.
Peanut butter spider candies
what you'll need
- 1 lb powdered sugar sifted
- 1 1/2 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 pkg chocolate candy coating
- swirl pretzels broken into 3 pieces
let's do it
- Hand mix peanut butter, butter and powdered sugar to form a smooth-yet-stiff consistency.
- Shape dough into 1½" diameter balls then place on baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper.
- Break pretzels into leg-sized pieces and insert into peanut butter balls, 4 on each side.
- Place baking sheet in refrigerator to harden, 20–30 minutes.
- Melt dipping chocolate per package instructions.
- Remove baking sheet from refrigerator. Use spoon to apply small dollop of dipping chocolate to top of spider bodies. Apply 2 round sprinkles for eyes, refrigerate spiders an additional 30 minutes to set then your spiders are complete!
- As an alternative, purchase donut holes, insert pretzel legs and attach candy eyes to make these goofy but spooky spiders!
One Last Thing